Roast pork was my late mother’s favorite. It is so versatile that she use the roast pork to cook many dishes such as clay pot fish head, Mei Cai 梅菜 (preserved mustard green), fried Hokkien noodles etc.
We will travel to Ubi and buy a few kilograms back home. Since we know how to make them, mum would request me to make for her once a while. My children love to eat the crackling skin.
I use my conventional oven to bake a lot of cakes, cookies and bread. Hence, I do not like to use it to do the Chinese roast pork as the smells some times goes on to my cookies and cakes. The oil from the roast pork on the oven wall is also difficult to clean.Since we know how to make them, mum would request me to make for her once a while. My children love to eat the crackling skin.
The Philip Air Fryer XXl is a perfect solution for me. It can fit a bigger piece of meat. The twn turboStar repid air technology also helps to roast the pork faster it took me only 45minutes compared to the conventional oven I need an hour. On top of that washing is easy. Just remove the pan soak with water overnight and clean with a sponge and dish washing detergent the next morning.
|Serving||Preperation time||Cooking time||Level|
|6- 8||Overnight||45 minutes||Intermediate|
- 1 kg pork belly
Mix together for seasoning
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
Preparation (24 hours before cooking)
- Wash pork belly thoroughly. Pat dry with kitchen tower
- Make sure it is dry thoroughly. Transfer to a plate rub the seasonings all over.
- Place the piece of meat on a tray on top of a plate skin side up and in the fridge overnight. This will help the skin and meat dry out.
- Remove from the fridge. The skin should be dry at this stage.
- To prepare the pork skin by pricking the skin with the sharp pork skin pricking tool or tape a few bamboo skewers together. The more holes the better (for crispier skin)
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 mins at 160°C
- Place in the pork belly and roast for 30 minutes
- Increase the temperature to 180°C for 10 minutes
- Brush the pork belly skin with vinegar and roast at 200°C for 5 minutes to create crispy skin.
- Remove from air fryer, let it cool for 10 minutes on the rack.
- Cut into your desired size and enjoy!
- Air fryer
- Oil brush
- Aluminum foil to line the air fryer
- Pork skin pricking tools/ few bamboo skewers
- Chopping board
- Chopping knife
Any left over can be keep in the freezer for other use.